[Air-L] Cultural Rhetorics conference October 30-November 1

Phil Bratta philbratta at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 08:33:35 PDT 2014

Call for Proposals: http://culturalrhetorics.org/cfp.php
2014 Cultural Rhetorics Conference
"Entering the Conversation"
Michigan State University <http://www.msu.edu/>, East Lansing, Michigan,
USA
October 30 - November 1, 2014
What is this conference for?To continue ongoing conversations in the
emergent field Cultural Rhetorics, connect conversations among those doing
work in this field, and build a consortium of cultural rhetorics
practitioners.Who is this conference for?Anyone who wants to join the
conversation about cultural rhetorics! Faculty, grad students, teachers,
scholars, writers, artists, activists ...How can I participate?Submit a
proposal.<http://culturalrhetorics.org/coming-soon.php?Title=Online+Submission>
 We're looking for papers, panels, roundtables, performances, media
installations, posters, readings, workshops & more that define, expand,
illustrate, and/or question what it means to join the cultural rhetorics
conversation.Apply to be a
particpant<http://culturalrhetorics.org/coming-soon.php?Title=Apply+to+the+Roundtable>
 in our opening roundtable -- "What does it mean to do cultural rhetorics &
what does it look like?"Proposals must be submitted by April 15th,
2014.Cultural
Rhetorics scholars study meaning-making practices and, sometimes, the
things produced through those practices like baskets, books, dances, poems,
web-sites, buildings, landscapes.We use the term "cultural rhetorics" to
emphasize an orientation to a set of constellating methodological and
theoretical frames we engage in our scholarly and teaching practices. Those
frames draw from and across Rhetoric & Composition Studies, various Ethnic
Studies fields, Postcolonial Studies, Decolonial Studies, Gender Studies,
Performance Studies, Cultural Studies, and others.While cultural rhetorics
covers a wide breadth of fields and disciplines, we haven't had a central
home or space to get together and share our work. The 2014 Cultural
Rhetorics Conference: Entering the Conversation, hosted by the Cultural
Rhetorics Theory Lab and the Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American
Cultures at Michigan State University, is that space.

--
PhD Student
Department of Writing, Rhetoric & American Cultures

Writing Center Satellite Coordinator
Michigan State University
300 Bessey Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824