[Air-L] Reading list on technology and society (with a communication twist)

Rich Ling riseling at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 23:38:47 PST 2014

Dear all,

I am trying to think of a readings list on technology and society. I want
to have a bit of a bias towards communication, but that it not the only
technology. I have put together the following list. The two areas that I
realize I don't have much on is steam technology (is there a book similar
to Eisenstein for steam?) and transport/automobilism.  These are mostly
books. Key articles are also of interest.

My current list (starting with the older technologies) is as follows:

·      The Printing press as a agent of change, Eisenstein

·      Shaping the day, Glennie and Thrift

·      Latitude, Sobel

·      The Victorian internet, Standage

·      The Control Revolution, Beniger

·      Technics and civilization, Mumford

·      Electrifying America: Social meanings of a new technology, David Nye

·      When old technologies were new, Marvin

·      The social construction of technical systems, Bijker

·      America Calling, Fischer

·      Crabgrass Frontier, Jackson

·      Virtual communities, Rheingold

·      The rise of the network society, Castells

·      6 Degrees, Watts

·      Taken for grantedness (maybe New Tech, New Ties), Ling

·      Configuring the User as Everybody: Oudshoorn, Rommes, Stinestra

·      Sociology beyond societies, Urry

·      In the Age of the Smart Machine, Zuboff

·      Play between worlds, Taylor

·      Where the action is, Dourish

--
Rich L.