[Air-L] Reading list on technology and society (with a communication twist)

Andrew Russell arussell at stevens.edu
Thu Mar 6 06:02:58 PST 2014

Rich -

Aileen Fyfe’s “Steam-Powered Knowledge” won the 2013 Edelstein Prize from SHOT - if you’re looking for something at the intersections of steam technology and communication, Fyfe’s book is a good place to start.  Since steam engines became so deeply embedded in many aspects of industrial society (stationary steam engines in factories, transport via railroads & steamboats, engineering activity to prevent boiler explosions, etc), the literature is vast.  Someone already mentioned Schivelbucsh’s “Railway Journey,” which is a brilliant cultural history of a steam-powered technological system.

While I’m at it - you might add Melosi’s “Sanitary City” to your list (if it’s not on there already).

Andy

On Mar 6, 2014, at 1:45 AM, riseling <riseling at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Thanks for all the great suggestions for tech. and society books.  There are a lot of "old friends" and "new acquaintances" in the suggestions that have been made.
>
> As one would expect from this list,  there are a lot of books/articles on IT and comm. Indeed I noted a need for that bias in my original mail.
>
> That said,  one theme for which I haven't seen the foundational book is steam technology. Is this a hole awaiting to be filled?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rich L.

> 	a	communication twist) </div><div>
>
> Baym, Nancy.  "Personal Connections in a Digital Age"
>
> Douglas, Susan. "Listening In: Radio And The American Imagination”
>
> Gitelman, Lisa. "Always Already New: Media, History, and the Data of Culture”
>
> Marvin, Carolyn. "When Old Technologies Were New: Thinking About Electric Communication in the Late Nineteenth Century”
>
> Papacharissi, Zizi. "A Private Sphere: Democracy in a Digital Age”
>
> Turkle, Sherry. "Life on the Screen: Identity in the Age of the Internet”
>
> van Dijck, José. "The Culture of Connectivity: A Critical History of Social Media"
>

> --
> Michael Zimmer, PhD
> Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
> Director, Center for Information Policy Research
> University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
> e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
> w: www.michaelzimmer.org
>
> On Mar 5, 2014, at 11:36 AM, Lee H. Humphreys <lmh13 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> Among the others that have already been mentioned, here are some old favorites:
>>
>> Raymond Williams "Television: Technology & Cultural Form"
>> Josh Meyrowitz "No Sense of Place"
>> Roger Silverstone "Television and Everyday life"
>> Jacques Ellul "The Technological Society"
>>
>> Of course, there's also Innis' "Bias of Communication"  and McLuhan's "Understanding Media", which can be fun to teach as well.
>>
>> I'm also a huge fan of Nick Couldry's book "Media, Society, World.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lee
>>
>> Lee Humphreys, PhD
>> Assistant Professor
>> Dept. of Communication
>> Cornell University
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2014, at 2:38 AM, Rich Ling wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to think of a readings list on technology and society. I want
>>> to have a bit of a bias towards communication, but that it not the only
>>> technology. I have put together the following list. The two areas that I
>>> realize I don't have much on is steam technology (is there a book similar
>>> to Eisenstein for steam?) and transport/automobilism.  These are mostly
>>> books. Key articles are also of interest.
>>>
>>> My current list (starting with the older technologies) is as follows:
>>>
>>> ·      The Printing press as a agent of change, Eisenstein
>>>
>>> ·      Shaping the day, Glennie and Thrift
>>>
>>> ·      Latitude, Sobel

> [...]

Andrew L. Russell, Ph.D.
Director, Program in Science & Technology Studies
Assistant Professor, History
College of Arts & Letters
Stevens Institute of Technology
Hoboken, New Jersey 07030

t. 201-216-5400 || f. 201-216-8245
arussell at stevens.edu || @RussellProf
http://www.stevens.edu/cal/sts || http://www.arussell.org

Open Standards and the Digital Age: History, Ideology, and Networks
(available for pre-order from Cambridge University Press and Amazon.com)