[Air-L] Final Call for Papers: International conference on 'Social Media and the Transformation of Public Space"

Anne Helmond anne at digitalmethods.net
Tue Mar 4 08:30:00 PST 2014

Final Call for Papers: International conference on 'Social Media and

the Transformation of Public Space"

University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, June 18-20, 2014

Organizers: José van Dijck & Thomas Poell

Confirmed speakers: Lance Bennett, Tarleton Gillespie, Alfred Hermida,

Hallvard Moe

Discussants: C.W. Anderson, Marcel Broersma, Jean Burgess, Irene

Costera Meijer, Mark Deuze, Marlies Glasius, Eggo Müller, Bernhard

Rieder, Richard Rogers, and Michael Schudson

This conference explores the potentially contradictory cultural and

techno-commercial mechanisms introduced by the rise of social media

platforms.  The main question driving the conference is how social

media, looked at from different angles and scholarly approaches, are

transforming concepts of public space or "publicness". More

specifically, we will ask how social media are involved in the

transformation of particular domains, including news production,

public broadcasting, activism, and law and order.

Abstract deadline: March 7, 2014

Proposals for presentations or full panels should be sent in a PDF or

Word format as email attachments to asmc14-fgw at uva.nl no later than

Friday, March 7, 2014. We will evaluate submissions on a rolling basis

and will respond to every proposal.

Learn more about the conference at:

http://acgs.uva.nl/news-and-events/upcoming-events/item/social-media-and-the-transformation-of-public-space.html