[Air-L] Reading list on technology and society (with a communication twist)

riseling riseling at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 22:45:24 PST 2014

Dear all,

Thanks for all the great suggestions for tech. and society books.  There are a lot of "old friends" and "new acquaintances" in the suggestions that have been made.

As one would expect from this list,  there are a lot of books/articles on IT and comm. Indeed I noted a need for that bias in my original mail.

That said,  one theme for which I haven't seen the foundational book is steam technology. Is this a hole awaiting to be filled?

Thanks.

Rich L.

 	a	communication twist) </div><div>

Baym, Nancy.  "Personal Connections in a Digital Age"

Douglas, Susan. "Listening In: Radio And The American Imagination”

Gitelman, Lisa. "Always Already New: Media, History, and the Data of Culture”

Marvin, Carolyn. "When Old Technologies Were New: Thinking About Electric Communication in the Late Nineteenth Century”

Papacharissi, Zizi. "A Private Sphere: Democracy in a Digital Age”

Turkle, Sherry. "Life on the Screen: Identity in the Age of the Internet”

van Dijck, José. "The Culture of Connectivity: A Critical History of Social Media"

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
w: www.michaelzimmer.org