[Air-L] Job openings in data science and HCI

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at syr.edu
Sat Mar 8 06:33:51 PST 2014

Syracuse University's School of Information Studies (The iSchool, see http://ischool.syr.edu) is soliciting applications for scholars involved in the broad and evolving spaces of data science/ data analytics and human-computer interaction (HCI) to join its renowned and interdisciplinary faculty. These positions are open rank, and we specifically encourage graduating doctoral students, senior assistant professors, and recently tenured faculty to apply.

Located at the center of the picturesque Syracuse University, we seek entrepreneurial colleagues with a passion for innovative scholarship, a desire to work with others on interdisciplinary projects, and enthusiasm for teaching. The iSchool has seven degree programs and an enrollment of 50 doctoral students, 650 masters' students and 650 undergraduates, led by 42 full-time faculty and over 100 part-time faculty.

The iSchool is at the cutting edge of scholarship and instruction. The school hosts five research centers and laboratories and faculty with recognized strengths in natural language processing, information retrieval, Internet governance and telecommunications policy, digital literacy, information management, information and network security, new forms of work and organizing, gamification, data science, entrepreneurship, and social media. There are campus-level initiatives on computational linguistics, sustainability, and urban education, along with strategic partnerships with J.P. Morgan Chase, IBM, and others as reflected in a curricular focus on Global Enterprise Technologies. The SU-ADVANCE program provides extensive mentoring services for female faculty in STEM disciplines. The ISchool recently acquired an IBM Netezza box, allowing for complex, fast analysis of large data sets, and SU has large data-storage capabilities and is home of the Qualitative Data Repository.

The iSchool seeks colleagues who can deepen and extend our emerging strengths in data science. We see this as a broad area that spans the following: visualization of large data sets and analytic approaches to large and often heterogeneous data sets; developing tools and approaches for scientific collaboration, and for data access and retrieval; computational social science involving large-scale quantitative data, examining large-scale online social configurations; and other possible areas emphasizing large-scale data and its analysis and representation.

The iSchool faculty also seeks colleagues who will continue to expand our strengths in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). Although we encourage applications from any area of HCI, we are particularly interested in candidates with research and teaching experience in the design, building and testing of online systems and environments, mobile applications, and other artifacts, and who are engaging in studies of uses and users in the field or laboratory.

The ability to obtain research funding will be considered a competitive advantage in our evaluations, as will evidence of teaching excellence. A record of publishing impactful scholarship is expected. Although rank and years of experience are open, we will consider outstanding ABDs with a strong expectation of a successful dissertation defense by 2015.

To be considered, applicants must submit: a cover letter outlining their interests and qualifications (including the rank they are seeking); a current curriculum vitae; short statements describing research and teaching interests and accomplishments; and the names and contact information of at least three references to: www.sujobopps.com<http://www.sujobopps.com> (job #071012). Strong candidates will be contacted for letters of reference and asked to provide research samples and a teaching portfolio or other evidence of teaching experience. Please do not submit these items with the initial application.

We will begin screening applicants on 2 April, 2014 and continue accepting applications until the positions are filled, which may extend into the 2014-2015 academic year.

Please direct questions to Dr. Jennifer Stromer-Galley, search chair, at jstromer at syr.edu<mailto:jstromer at syr.edu>

~Jenny
Associate Professor | School of Information Studies
Vice President | Association of Internet Researchers
Syracuse University
220 Hinds Hall
Syracuse, New York 13244
t 315.443.1823  f 315.443.5673  e jstromer at syr.edu