[Air-L] Text suggestion(s): Computer Mediated Communication

Steven Epstein epsteis at sunysuffolk.edu
Thu May 8 16:54:52 PDT 2014

I'll be teaching a section of a course, Computer Mediated Communication, in the Fall and would like recommendations for textbooks, readers, and other material.

The person who has been teaching the course at my school has used Online Communication by Wood & Smith.  But, since this was last revised in 2005, it is a bit dated.  Also, I'd really like to use a text that has a robust companion web site, test item file and/or PPTs.

As the class is housed in the Department of Communications, I will be exploring the social effects of different computer-supported communication technologies.  However, I will, via text or other material, want to expose the students to the "workings" of some CMC.   That might be participating in self help groups on Face Book or Yahoo Groups, developing a Blog with Word Press, editing articles on Wikipedia or even doing some simple HTML coding.  So, in addition to textbook ideas, I'd love additional ideas for projects and exercises.

Feel free to post ideas to the list or send directly to me.

Thanks

Steve

Steven L. Epstein, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of Communications