[Air-L] Text suggestion(s): Computer Mediated Communication

Ted Coopman ted.coopman at gmail.com
Sun May 25 13:06:23 PDT 2014

Hi Steve,

First, I searched high and low for a good new media/Internet text that
would not get dated too quickly. I teach a New Media, New World broad
topic/theory course (4 units, upper division in a Communication Studies
department). I suggest Meikle, G. and Young, S. (2012). *Media convergence:
Networked digital media in everyday life*. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN:
978-0-230-22894-8, ISBN10: 0-230-22894-1. Students love it and it is meta
enough that it encompasses newer developments. The more technical and fast
changing specifics, I found, are best left to workshops or industry/popular
press sources (eg. Wired; Economist).

Being able to switch out or update parts since I have to update the damn
thing every time I teach it (sometimes in the middle, if you catch by
bitcoin)!

Here is my course website (you can access most of it - no student
data): https://sjsu.instructure.com/courses/1070676

As far as what platform to use, I suggest Canvas (which is what we use at
SJSU). It is  (IMHO) the best learning platform going and easy to use. They
have a free for teachers version anyone can use on their website
www.instructure.com.

I teach an extra class online for the University of Louisville (KY) and
they use Blackboard (hate it!) and I just started using the free Canvas
version and am much happier.

I have a multiple choice quiz bank for Meikle and Young I can send you.

-TED