No subject

Wed May 7 22:43:13 PDT 2014

I recently heard the story (this is beyond third-hand, so I don't know
if it's even true) of someone with a huge MP3 collection who set up his
home computer as a server, and noticed that the port he once used to
serve content has become the subject of regular remote scans that
thwart his attempts at blocking them. As soon as the scans detect he's
set up to share files, the port is shut down by what amounts to a
denial of service attack: a barrage of requests that tie up the port.
One theory is that this is an attempt to shut down online music/content
sharing by means other than the courts. Has anyone heard anything about
extralegal attempts by RIAA sympathizers to fight fire with fire?

Thanks,
Mark