[Air-L] Looking for research on the negative well-being effects of News Feed browsing

Galen Panger gpanger at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:47:54 PDT 2014

Hi everyone (this is my first post to air-l!), I've been doing a bit of
work looking into the finding by a few researchers including Burke et al.
that News Feed browsing (and other forms of passive consumption in social
networks) leads to lower well-being outcomes.

Am trying to expand my horizons on the work that's been done exploring the
possible causes of this effect; in interviews with Facebook users, for
example, I've heard people talk about feeling like time on FB is wasted, or
like they're seeing another (unattractive, irritating) side of their
friends. Then, more academically, are suggestions that social comparison
(everyone's cheery and accomplished and I compare unfavorably with that) or
social transparency (I can see when my friends are hanging out without me)
might also play a role.

Google Scholar searches and the like haven't turned up much for me, but
maybe (probably) I'm missing something—does anyone have work in this area
that they can point me to, or suggestions of good work by others? I'd
greatly appreciate some help expanding my understanding of the literature
in this area.

Thanks and best regards,
Galen

galen at ischool.berkeley.edu