[Air-L] CFP reminder: The Fan Studies Network Conference

Bertha Chin bertha.chin at gmail.com
Tue May 27 03:08:11 PDT 2014

We just wanted to offer a little reminder that abstracts for the Fan
Studies Network Conference 2014 are due at the end of this week (by Sunday
1st June)! Please see below for the CFP, and you can also read it on our
blog here:

http://fanstudies.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/call-for-papers-fan-studies-network-2014-conference-regents-university-london-uk-27-28th-september-2014/

THE FAN STUDIES NETWORK 2014 CONFERENCE

27-28th September 2014
Regent’s University, London, UK

Keynote Speakers:

Dr Paul Booth (DePaul University)

Dr Rhiannon Bury (Athabasca University)

Mr Orlando Jones (star of Sleepy Hollow, appearing for a virtual Q&A)

For two years the Fan Studies Network has provided a fruitful and
enthusiastic space for academics interested in fans and fandom to connect,
share resources, and develop their research ideas. Following the success of
our first symposium in November 2013, we are delighted to announce the
FSN2014 Conference, taking place over two days at Regent’s University
London from 27-28th September 2014.

FSN2014 will feature three fantastic keynote speakers. The first will be Dr
Paul Booth, author of Digital Fandom: New Media Studies (Peter Lang, 2010),
Time on TV: Temporal Displacement and Mashup Television (Peter Lang, 2012)
and editor of Fan Phenomena: Doctor Who (Intellect, 2013). His newest book,
Media Play: Pastiche, Parody, Fandom, is forthcoming from University of
Iowa Press. The second keynote will be Dr Rhiannon Bury, author of
Cyberspaces of Their Own: Female Fandoms Online (Peter Lang, 2005) and
currently writing her second book for publication with Peter Lang, entitled
Television 2.0: New Perspectives on Digital Convergence, Audiences, and
Fans. We are also incredibly delighted that Mr Orlando Jones, an American
film and television writer, producer, and actor who currently plays Captain
Frank Irving in Sleepy Hollow (Fox, 2013-) and vocal proponent of fan
culture, will
be joining us via Skype to participate in a virtual Q&A session.

We invite abstracts of no more than 300 words for individual 20 minute
papers that address any aspect of fandom or fan studies. We also welcome
collated submissions for pre-constituted panels. We encourage new members,
in all stages of study, to the network and welcome proposals for
presentations on, but not limited to, the following
possible topics:

- Activism and fandom
- Producer-audience interactions
- Non-Western fan cultures
- Ethics in fan studies
- Defining fandom
- Anti-Fandom and Non-Fandom
- Fan use of social media platforms
- Fandom (and) controversies
- The future of fan studies

We also invite expressions of interest (100- 200 words) from anyone wishing
to host a short session of ‘speed geeking.’ This would involve each speaker
chairing a short discussion on a relevant topic of their choosing, and then
receiving extensive feedback, making it ideal for presenting in-progress or
undeveloped ideas. If you have any questions about this format of
presentation, please contact Richard McCulloch at mccullochr at regents.ac.uk.

Please send any enquires/abstracts to: fsnconference at gmail.com by SUNDAY
1st JUNE.

Notifications of decisions will be sent out w/c 16th June.

You can find out more information on http://fanstudies.wordpress.com/ or
talk about the event on Twitter using #FSN2014.

Conference Organisers:
Lucy Bennett and Tom Phillips (FSN chairs)
Bertha Chin, Bethan Jones, Richard McCulloch, Rebecca Williams (FSN board)

We hope to see you there!

--
Dr. Bertha Chin
Independent Scholar <http://cardiff.academia.edu/BerthaChin>