[Air-L] qual/quant and all that

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed May 7 15:09:23 PDT 2014

I am disappointed in the implicit assumption that folks are either qual or
quant.

When I had influence in the Toronto Sociology dept, I helped lead the way
to ensure all grad students took a basic stats course and a basic
ethnography course. They don't have to use both, but they have to be
literate readers of both, and not shy away from use in fear or ignorance.

I continue to think it is the only way forward for serious IR scholarship

   Barry Wellman, who was doing "mixed methods" before it was called that.

   NetLab                        FRSC                      INSNA Founder
   Faculty of Information (iSchool)                 611 Bissell Building
   140 St. George St.    University of Toronto    Toronto Canada M5S 3G6
                  NSA/CSEC: Canadian and American citizen
   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39      Print $14  Kindle $16
                  Old/NewCyberTimes http://bit.ly/c8N9V8