[Air-L] A Manifesto for Music Technologists

Jonathan Sterne, Dr. jonathan.sterne at mcgill.ca
Tue May 20 10:18:56 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to call your attention to a manifesto on music, technology and culture at http://www.musictechifesto.org

We are hoping it will spur lots of critical discussion, as well as new kinds of collaborations, both across academic disciplines that don't normally talk with one another, and across institutions that don't normally work together.

More details are below my signature, but if you support the project, please consider signing on.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
--Jonathan

--
Jonathan Sterne
Professor and James McGill Chair in Culture and Technology

http://sterneworks.org
http://mcgill.ca/ahcs
http://media.mcgill.ca

MP3: The Meaning of a Format (Duke, 2012)

--

On 24 March 2014, 21 people came together at Microsoft Research New England for a symposium called “What Is Music Technology For?” held just after the first Music Tech Fest in North America. Those at the symposium were motivated by a passion for music, a fascination with technology and culture, and a concern for how music technology is now developing. Recognizing the fertility of music technology as a subject that bridges computational, scientific, social scientific and humanistic approaches, we looked for common ground across those fields. We debated and developed a set of shared principles about the future of music technology.

Built from the notes of that day’s event, and revised together in the weeks that followed, this manifesto is the collaboratively-authored product of this meeting.

The symposium was organized by Nancy Baym, Microsoft Research, and Jonathan Sterne, McGill University.