[Air-L] 2015 ISA Conference Panel: Seeking Abstracts

Rex Troumbley rextroumbley at gmail.com
Tue May 27 16:25:21 PDT 2014

Aloha AoIR-ers,

We have organized a panel for the 2015 ISA conference,  but one of our
paper presenters had to withdraw last minute and so there’s an opening for
anyone interested. The ISA conference is the annual meeting of the
International
Studies Association<http://www.isanet.org/Conferences/NewOrleans2015/Call.aspx>
and
will be held this year in New Orleans from February 18th-21st, 2015.

Our panel is titled “Digital Politics and the Networked Eye” and the
abstract is below. The panel will be chaired by Mark
Salter<https://socialsciences.uottawa.ca/pol/professor-profile?id=127>from
the University of Ottowa and our discussant will be Jose
Marichal <http://www.callutheran.edu/faculty/profile.php?id=marichal> from
California Lutheran University.

The call for papers deadline is soon, so if you are interested in joining
our panel please send a 200 word abstract to Rex Troumbley at
rextroumbley at gmail.com as soon as possible. The lasted we can accept
abstracts is Thursday, May 29, 2014. We will let you if your abstract fits
our panel by May 30th. Thank you all.

Rex Troumbley, PhD Candidate
Department of Political Science
University of Hawaii at Manoa

Panel Title: Digital Politics and the Networked Eye

Abstract:
The contemporary proliferation of networked devices and social medias,
interfaces and monitors, ubiquitous data collection, and remote killing
technologies has created a tension between transparency and opacity to
fundamentally deform politics today. The universalization of surveillance
and optics via infrastructural technologies merits critical attention.
However, most work surveying the implications of the networked eye
misrepresented it as analogous to the theory of social control described by
Foucault as the Panopticon.  The papers on this panel go beyond the
Panoptic trope to consider the tension between transparency and opacity in
the age of networked optics. Instead they consider how transparency and
opacity can be used as tool of resistance, the kinds of publics which are
created or deformed by what they see online, how opacity can be useful or
limiting to the work of visual culture, and consequently how networked
devices themselves see.