[Air-L] Visualizing gaps in political participation? Online bridges/wedges

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Wed May 28 15:05:58 PDT 2014

Last year I took a deep dive into the Pew Internet and American Life's
Civic Engagement in the Digital Age report: http://bit.ly/pewcivic

Long story short, the report seems to suggest that despite a closing
digital divide, online participation is not helping close the
democratic divide based on income, education, race, age, etc.

Before I beat a louder drum that says, "hey, investments and
experiments with open government and civic tech should raise new
voices and not settle for just amplifying the voices of those who
already show up" I need better/broader/fresher numbers.

I need visualizations that show the greatest gaps in political
participation both in general and online to guide efforts that seek to
generate the most results.

So, who has those charts, etc.?

Or do you want to help generate some?

Thanks,
Steven Clift
E-Democracy.org

P.S. If you scroll down you'll see some slides of note with numbers:
http://bit.ly/newvoicesvideo  -  I am looking for far more pleasing
displays of this research like this.
ᐧ