[Air-L] Version 2 of a Draft Code of Ethics for the Social Data Industry - Comments Invited

xDxD.vs.xDxD xdxd.vs.xdxd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 14:31:05 PST 2014

Michael:
for me it is, absolutely

for example, when we deal with concepts such as smart cities, we focus on
human-centered smart cities, starting for example with this:

http://www.artisopensource.net/network/artisopensource/2013/11/20/third-infoscape-de-certeau-clement-casagrande-smart-cities/

in which we show how we try to combine micro-historical approaches with the
ones coming from ethnography and systems theory, to suggest (hopefully)
interesting models in which to build participative and collaborative
practices.

Or for example this, in which we expand one particular case in which we
have designed methods for places in which there is not much online social
networking going on (and not much "online" at all):

http://www.artisopensource.net/network/artisopensource/2014/07/30/communication-knowledge-and-information-in-the-human-ecosystem-p2p-ethnography/

In this sense, we are also trying to give form to supporting practices for
these methods, which we are calling of P2P Ethnography

And, as a further example, we are trying to infer from our findings in
multiple cities (Rome, Sao Paulo, Malmö, Montreal, Toronto, New Haven, Hong
Kong and starting just now in Berlin) a set of hypotheses according to
which we can capture the flows of information, knowledge, opinion and
emotion which are functional to organize participatory actions and
processes in the human-driven smart-city (and, thus, in the smart community)

for example here:

http://human-ecosystems.com/home/relations-in-the-human-ecosystems-cultures-communities-roles-and-emergence/

(in this there are many parts which are modeled on Actor Network Theory,
and on the possibility to interpret such interactions as recombinant 2nd
order cybernetic systems)

In our working hypotheses these scenarios, to be feasible, need some
profound intervention at the level of education (and that's why one of our
main focuses is to perform workshops for multiple types of people, ranging
from children, to students, artists, designers, young entrepreneurs, public
administrators, architects, planners etc), as well as a reconsideration of
the (fuzzy, dynamic, shifting) boundaries of what we describe as Public
Space and Commons, as the opportunity to use this data in these ways, to
actually enable smart communities, is proprietary or, to the least,
privatized.

This is why we propose the Ubiquitous Commons, to seriously start taking
into account the transformation of commons and of public space in the age
of ubiquitous technologies.

Hope it makes sense

Best,
Salvatore