[Air-L] #GamerGate Lessons for academics

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at syr.edu
Tue Nov 4 05:42:55 PST 2014

For those of you who've been following #gamergate, I wanted to share an article that was just published in the International Communication Association newsletter. Shira Chess, Mia Consalvo, Nina Huntemann, Adrienne Shaw, Carol Stabile, and I wrote an essay that we hope will help trigger some thoughtful discussion among us academics and our associations about ways our community can support those of us who become targets of harassment because of our scholarly endeavors.

I'm pleased to note that AoIR has already adopted one of the items on our list of recommendations, which is for academic associations to draft statements of inclusivity :).

The article can be read here:  http://www.icahdq.org/membersnewsletter/NOV14_ART0009.asp

~Jenny

Associate Professor | School of Information Studies
Vice President | Association of Internet Researchers
Syracuse University
220 Hinds Hall
Syracuse, New York 13244
t 315.443.1823  f 315.443.5673  e jstromer at syr.edu