[Air-L] Any digital art history PhDs looking for a job?

Jill Walker Rettberg Jill.Walker.Rettberg at lle.uib.no
Wed Nov 5 05:43:13 PST 2014

There's an absolutely open associate professor position in art history (any kind of art history whatsoever) advertised in our department and I would just love for someone doing something digital to get the job. PLEASE, if you know someone with a PhD in art history who is interested in the internet who might be interested in a job in Norway, LET THEM KNOW. And if you fit the bill, APPLY?

http://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/106195/associate-professor-foersteamanuensis-in-history-of-art
(if that job ad shows up in Norwegian look for the link labeled "English")

While I'll admit the art history people in our department are not very internet-ish, there are some wonderful people there. And us digital culture people are just down the hallway, and we do lots of work on digital art and literature. There's also an excellent art school doing great digital art, and some wonderful digital artists here.

If you're thinking, "Huh, NORWAY?" let me tell you the jobs are not bad here. You get 50% research time, 50% teaching by default. The salary for this job starts at USD 70,000, and though cost of living may be higher here than in many countries consider free health care, free tuition, 12 months paid parental leave, heavily subsidized childcare and you'll see that the deal is really pretty sweet. Also Norway has publically funded universities and isn't slashing funding for higher education as many countries are doing.

Here is some info from another academic who moved to Norway about transitioning to academia here.
http://theprofessorisin.com/2013/02/18/if-youre-considering-grad-schoolwork-in-scandinavia-part-i-a-guest-post/
http://theprofessorisin.com/2013/02/19/if-youre-considering-grad-schoolwork-in-scandinavia-part-ii-a-guest-post/
and something I wrote about the (in some ways) open hiring process
http://jilltxt.net/?p=3472

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Jill

Jill Walker Rettberg
Professor of Digital Culture
Dept of Linguistic, Literary and Aesthetic Studies
University of Bergen
Postboks 7800
5020 Bergen

+ 47 55588431

Blog - http://jilltxt.net
Twitter - http://twitter.com/jilltxt
My book "Seeing Ourselves Through Technology: How We Use Selfies, Blogs and Wearable Devices to See and Shape Ourselves" is out on Palgrave as an open access publication - buy it in print or download it for free!
http://jilltxt.net/books