[Air-L] CFP: iConference 2015 workshop on Exploring Gender, Race, and Sexuality with Social Media Data

Oliver Haimson ohaimson at uci.edu
Fri Nov 21 14:42:40 PST 2014

*Call for Presenters: iConference 2015 workshop on Exploring Gender, Race,
and Sexuality with Social Media Data*

*Newport Beach, California, USA. March 24, 2015*

Social media data present a powerful opportunity for researchers to explore
how they might ask nuanced questions regarding the intersectionality of
gender, race, and sexuality. Recent controversies like #Gamergate and the
public outcry over research about #BlackTwitter demonstrate the importance
of ethical practices and accountability to online communities when
conducting social media data analysis. We invite anyone interested in
discussing these questions and controversies to join us at this iConference
workshop where we will:

·       Help build a community of researchers working on issues of gender,
race, and/or sexuality within the information sciences and related fields.

·       Create skill-building experiences that enable researchers to
collect and analyze social media data to further their own work.

·       Explore how to analyze social media data ethically and develop
practices that respect and engage the sometimes vulnerable and marginalized
populations who may have generated the data.

·       Critically discuss the use of social media data to generate new
insights and scholarship.

We welcome both new and experienced researchers and encourage participation
from a wide range of methodological orientations, including qualitative,
quantitative, and mixed methods.

*CALL FOR PRESENTERS*

Workshop participation is open to all. However, to facilitate the
opportunity for a select set of presentations at the workshop, we welcome
any interested scholars to submit a position paper, methods paper, or case
study. Papers should describe novel and ethical research involving the use
of social media data for the exploration of gender, race, and/or sexuality.
We particularly welcome submissions from participants dealing with issues
of intersectionality. Paper submissions are entirely optional, but if
desired should be 2-4 pages in the iConference 2015 format
<http://ischools.org/the-iconference/program/author-instructions/#template>.
If accepted, authors will be provided with presentation details in advance
of the workshop; they will also be invited to share their data for workshop
demonstration purposes. We will provide opportunities throughout the
workshop for presenters to get feedback on their research from workshop
attendees and organizers. Participant papers will be made available on
the workshop
website <https://iconferencesocialmediadata.wordpress.com/> with author
permission.

*HOW TO SUBMIT*

Email your paper to ohaimson at uci.edu by January 16, 2015 at 5pm PST.

*TIMELINE*

Paper deadline: January 16, 2015

Decision notifications: February 16, 2015

Workshop: March 24, 2015

*ORGANIZERS*

Oliver L. Haimson, UC Irvine

Amanda Menking, University of Washington

Jordan Eschler, University of Washington

Ingrid Erickson, Rutgers University

Gillian R. Hayes, UC Irvine

*CONTACT*

Oliver Haimson: ohaimson at uci.edu

For more information: https://iconferencesocialmediadata.wordpress.com/

<https://iconferencesocialmediadata.wordpress.com/>
--
<https://iconferencesocialmediadata.wordpress.com/>
<https://iconferencesocialmediadata.wordpress.com/>
Oliver L. Haimson
PhD Student, Informatics

Social & Technological Action Research Group
University of California, Irvine

<https://iconferencesocialmediadata.wordpress.com/>oliverhaimson.com