[Air-L] #gamergate links

Ian O'Byrne wiobyrne at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 06:21:43 PDT 2014

Hi Burcu,

I was just wading through the links for #ganergate for a post
<http://feed.wiobyrne.com/2014/results-from-pew-internet-research-on-trends-in-online-harassment>
on the Pew Research results that came out yesterday.

What I found most fascinating from all of the links is the Wikipedia page
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy>, and the Talk page
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Gamergate_controversy#.23> for the
#gamergate controversy. I think there are more concise overviews, and the
Twitter feed is intense. However, I think that the Wikipedia discussion
forces people over time to sit, think, and respond to each other...for
better or worse. :)

Thankfully they're regularly archiving everything in the discussions. I'm
thinking about teaming up with some colleagues to look at gender,
discourse, and CMC in this space. If anyone else is interested in joining
in...please let me know off-list.

-Ian

W. Ian O'Byrne, Ph.D.
wiobyrne.com

University of New Haven
Department of Education
*"Feet on the Ground and Eyes to the Sky"*
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
(203) 479-4272