[Air-L] Fwd: #gamergate links

Jenni Powell jenni.powell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 10:16:09 PDT 2014

Here are two personal accounts:

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/why-gamergaters-piss-me-the-f-off-a7e4c7f6d8a6

http://thisfeliciaday.tumblr.com/post/100700417809/the-only-thing-i-have-to-say-about-gamer-gate

What's interesting about these two pieces is that Chris Kluwe's piece was
really inflammatory (though he had points, don't get me wrong) and he went
pretty much unscathed in terms of being attacked in the name of
GamerGate...while on the otherhand, Felicia's account was tamer and more
personal and heartfelt and she was almost immediately doxxed (of which she
expressed fear of happening).  It sparked quite a lot of discussion when it
happened yesterday.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Burcu Bakioglu <bbakiogl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks all. Like I said, I'm compiling all these links to a google doc for
> everyone else to use. I'll share once it is finalized.
>
> P.S. Andy, thanks! I have two other more recent articles on the topic, FYI
> :) Send me a private email if you're interested in seeing those as well. If
> I write a whole paper on this, I'll be sure to send it along.
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Andy Keenan <andrewtkeenan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Burcu,
> >
> > I found this article from ArsTechnica on the relationship between 4chan
> > and #gamergate particularly interesting. Discusses how #gamergate did not
> > start as a grassroots gamer movement but with sockpuppet twitter
> accounts:
> >
> http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/new-chat-logs-show-how-4chan-users-pushed-gamergate-into-the-national-spotlight/
> >

> > Great quote - "But seriously, I think we're doing pretty good on the
> > #GamerGate front," wrote user OperationDunk in a "quinnspiracy" IRC
> > channel. "Lot of support, and a ton of people are picking up the
> > self-chastising when people start getting insulting. It took a few days
> of
> > 4-5 of us doing it but it's taking off."
> >
> > Hope that helps. Would love to see a copy of your presentation when
> you're
> > finished.
> > Andy
> >
> > PS - I have been citing your "Spectacular interventions of second life:
> > Goon culture, griefing, and disruption in virtual spaces" article in all
> of
> > my recent work. Thanks for taking a critical look at griefing and goons
> > without demonizing it. Greatly appreciated! It's a culture that needs to
> be
> > studied and understood.
> >

> > Andy Keenan
> > PhD Candidate
> > Faculty of Information
> > University of Toronto
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Burcu Bakioglu <bbakiogl at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >> I've been asked to give a brief presentation on the #gamergate scandal
> >> that
> >> erupted last month. I casually read up on it but I want to be a bit more
> >> thorough as you can imagine. I was wondering if you would share some of
> >> the
> >> links you may have come across.
> >>
> >> Kind regards.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Burcu S. Bakioglu, Ph.D.
> >> Postdoctoral Fellow in New Media
> >> Lawrence University
> >>
> >> http://www.palefirer.com
> >>
> >> -- "There is nothing more frightening than a clown after midnight." Lon
> >> Chaney
> >>
> >> Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
> >> http://www.aoir.org/
> >>

> --
> [...]

Jenni Powell
Producer - The New Adventures of Peter and Wendy
                   The Lizzie Bennet Diaries (Emmy Award Winner)
                   Welcome to Sanditon
                   Emma Approved
                   Talkin' Comics Weekly (Geekie Award Winner)
Head of Production - New Media Rockstars

10408 Oxford St.
North Hollywood, CA 91606
m. (858) 335-4426

www.thenewpeterandwendy.com