[Air-L] Announcing new MA in Social Technologies

Greg Wise Greg.Wise at asu.edu
Thu Oct 23 15:08:42 PDT 2014

Hi folks,

I am excited to announce that we are launching a new MA in Social Technologies here at Arizona State University, starting in Fall 2015. Please circulate this information and forward to students who might be interested. Priority deadline for applications is Feb 15, 2015.

The Masters in Social Technologies (MAST) is a groundbreaking program for students who wish to understand how new technologies affect social and organizational change and to apply that understanding in a variety of professional contexts.

Focused on the increasing prominence of social technologies in nearly every facet of contemporary life, MAST is an interdisciplinary degree anchored in social, behavioral, cultural, and design approaches to this new reality.   Our faculty members are leading experts in the study of globalization, surveillance, social networking, online activism, computer gaming, networked learning, collective behavior, social media and social change, cultural theory and technology, sport and social media, and the political economy of media.

Our flexible curriculum consists of two core courses (Theories of Social Technology and Applied Social Technology), a graduate-level research methods course, a series of elective courses, and a six credit-hour applied project.  Working closely with our faculty, students select their coursework and develop a final project appropriate to their educational and vocational goals.

Students leave the program with a thorough grounding in social theory and research methods, applied to the social uses of interactive environments, networked technologies, and mobile computing.  Graduates from the program are well prepared for doctoral work in social technologies, as well as careers in social media, community management, distance collaboration, and professions that use communication technologies to interact with clients, interest groups, and the general public.

More information can be found on our website.

https://newcollege.asu.edu/graduate/degrees/social-technologies-masters

If you have questions, let me know!

Cheers,

Greg Wise

Dr. J. Macgregor Wise
Professor of Communication Studies
Director,  MA in Social Technologies

School of Social and Behavioral Sciences
New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences
Arizona State University
4701 West Thunderbird Road
Glendale, AZ 85306-4908
(602) 543 6646; (602) 543 4565 (fax)