[Air-L] Livestreaming at AOIR

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Tue Oct 14 10:17:57 PDT 2014

Hi,

This is my area of expertise, as I regularly run webcasts for ISOC.

YouTube offer a good free service, it's a little quirky, needs a practice
or two, but works well. Allows embedding. Other pluses - it's html5 and
IPv6 and converts to multibitrate. Segmenting is hard, but one can index
afterwards. Easy enough to set up separate events for all three tracks.

You do need to have a YouTube channel that is validated via SMS.

Alternatively we at ISOC could lend you a Livestream server, f'rinstance
http://bit.ly/isoctv - Simple software client - Segmenting is easy. Just
stop and start on the breaks. and it's possible, if you have the slides on
the streaming machine, to easily do split screen. Only one track.

But, and it's a big but, what really matters is getting a clean audio
signal - preferably a direct line from the board - alternatively the output
from a zoom recorder positioned close to either speakers or the podium.
There'[s a further tricky bit to match input to the pc unless it has line
in.

Happy to help in any way I can.

joly

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Alice E. Marwick <amarwick at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm one of the participants in the selfie events (pre-conference workshop,
> panel, and fishbowl), and we're trying to figure out how we can best allow
> non-attendees to participate. We'd like to livestream the events and
> include some sort of participation from watchers (a chat channel, at
> least).
>
> I was looking at UStream but they have "pivoted" to enterprise use and if
> there's another possibility I'd like to explore that.
>
> Any ideas? What have people used for streaming that has worked well for
> them?
>
> We'll probably just bring an extra laptop with a webcam and use that to
> stream the events, but other suggestions are welcome.
>
> Warmly,
> Alice
>
> --
> Alice E. Marwick, PhD
> Director, McGannon Center
> Assistant Professor, Department of Communication and Media Studies
> Fordham University
> amarwick at fordham.edu
> http://www.tiara.org
>
> Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity & Branding in the Social Media Age
> available from Yale Press
> http://bit.ly/StatusUpdateBook

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com