[Air-L] Berkman Center Accepting Fellowship Applications for the 2015-2016 Academic Year

sky scroeser at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:03:38 PDT 2014

> In the end we must understand that a "commitment to diversity" is also
> constrained, which inevitably limits the richness and variety of the
> possible conversations at the table. But has it not always been this
> way in academia: has anything ever been truly open? Is more frank
> transparency in order, or should we have learned "read between the
> lines" by now?
>

> Kindest regards,
> carolina

I feel like there are two aspects of the response to this which are
important.

Firstly, it is important to make these inequalities visible, so it's not
just those who can't apply (or are discouraged from applying) who see
the inequalities by reading between the lines. Part of that is having
discussions like this one in public spaces (because so often these
discussions take place only behind literal or metaphoric closed doors,
as early career researchers are--understandably--too anxious about being
seen as troublesome or not dedicated enough).

>From an institutional perspective, this might mean an acknowledgement
about the gap between a commitment to diversity and the economic
reality, some kind of statement on application pages which recognises
that unfunded positions are inaccessible for many people, rather than
leaving it unmentioned.

The second part, as far as I can tell, is for organisations to be
thinking about how they can apply the resources at their disposal to
follow through on a stated commitment to diversity. In some cases, this
might mean a deeper commitment to finding funds to support fellows and
other research positions. It might also mean a flattening of pay scales
in order to facilitate this. In other cases, particularly for smaller
organisations with less of an ability to access funding, it might mean
saying something like, "as part of our commitment to diversity, we will
help you find grants and write applications to support your fellowship,
should you be successful".

I am curious, also, about other potential approaches to this, because I
don't feel that just expecting people to read between the lines and
self-select out of the running is the only way to manage this...

skyc at riseup.net