[Air-L] Livestreaming at AOIR

Richard Smith smith at sfu.ca
Tue Oct 14 13:50:36 PDT 2014

One "gotcha" with YouTube: if you happen to have music playing (and it could be almost anything, from something in the background to something someone uses as part of their slides), youtube will catch it within seconds (their robots will), and blacklist you. Not only does that cut off your stream in the middle of an event, but it can take *months* to get your account reinstated, even if you have a completely legitimate claim to fair use or whatever. We had a speaker include a small snippet of a film soundtrack - she is an expert on sound in films - and ... BANG ... our account was banished to the "bad boys" club, limiting us to streams of 5 minutes or less. Grrr. We eventually made our way back to Yahoo's good graces, but beware that this is a "Guilty until proven innocent" world, and the robots don't care about your academic purpose or legitimacy of use.

...r