[Air-L] post-editing of news stories in online environments

Philippa Smith philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz
Wed Oct 15 13:11:39 PDT 2014

Thank you to all of those people who responded to my request below about post-editing of news in online environments.  I have reproduced responses to share with the rest of AOIR as well as an addition of my own that I found from AJR.  But if anyone has any further recommendations I would still be very pleased to receive them.

Kind regards

Philippa

*         Secko, D. M. et al., 2011. The unfinished science story: Journalist-audience interactions from the Globe and Mail's online health and science sections. Journalism, 12 (7)(DOI: 10.1177/1464884911412704), pp. 814-831.

*         This research asked U.S. newspaper reporters about their attitudes toward online reader comments: http://www.academia.edu/6528209/Online_Readers_Comments_Represent_New_Opinion_Pipeline

*         This is not a scientific study but an interesting interview from NPR's On the media about how news outlets handle corrections: http://www.onthemedia.org/story/riding-rumor/

According to the, the New York Times is an exception in employing a senior editor to "just" handle reader/user comments for correcting stories.

*         And from American Journalism Review - an interesting piece:

http://ajr.org/2014/05/13/copy-editors-digital-media/

Philippa K. Smith, PhD
Senior lecturer and Research Manager
Institute of Culture, Discourse and Communication
Auckland University of Technology
Auckland
NEW ZEALAND