[Air-L] New book: Sharing Our Lives Online: Risks and Exposure in Social Media

David Brake davidbrake at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 19:07:20 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

I wish I could be out there in Korea telling you about this! My book "Sharing Our Lives Online: Risks and Exposure in Social Media" about why people share personal details about their lives on social media and the personal and societal consequences of these practices has just been published by Palgrave Macmillan. At the micro-sociological level its analysis draws on insights from interviews with individual social media users. The book also takes into account a range of macro-sociological influences including the power of software defaults, the changing technological landscape of sharing and the commercial imperatives of the new media industry. It critically reviews the literature about online danger and it ends with recommendations for the industry, policy makers and educators.

On a personal note, the book acknowledges the vital role that the AoIR played in helping this book reach fruition. Thank you everyone.

While this is a theoretically-informed and fully referenced academic text I am an ex-journalist and I am confident it should be readable by a broad range of students. I have structured the introductory chapter in particular so that it provides a succinct overview of the whole book. Students will also be pleased to hear it is already available in softcover ($28/£18 list) and on Kindle ($18/£10) as well as in hardback ($95/£65).

Official details, a sample and further information can be found at http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?pid=528259 - you can get 30% off via this site if you are not Canadian or Australasian by quoting PM14THIRTY but only to the end of the month.

Apologies for cross-posting - if however (paradoxically) after a day or two I have somehow failed to cross-post to a list you are aware of where scholars might find it interesting, please pass it on.

And of course I would be pleased to hear if you adopt the book to teach with and find it useful, if you would like to review it or if there are problems I should address.

Best wishes,

David

--
Dr David Brake, Professor of Journalism, Humber College, Dep’t of Media Studies & Information Technology
3199 Lake Shore Blvd W, Toronto ON M8V 1K8 Office: +1 416 675 3111 x79323