[Air-L] Bibliography for digital serial fiction

Jill Walker Rettberg Jill.Walker.Rettberg at lle.uib.no
Sat Oct 25 22:48:12 PDT 2014

Hi Nina,

There was just a presentation on social media narratives at #IR15, by Linda Kronman. I happened to bambuser it (with Linda's permission) so you can watch the video here: http://bambuser.com/v/5015944 and the abstract is here https://www.conftool.com/aoir-ir15/index.php?page=browseSessions&form_session=6

The ELMCIP Electronic Literature Knowledge Base is a great resource for finding creative works and scholarship on this sort of work. I added Linda Kronman's talk to the database and in the entry you'll also see links to the entries for the social media fiction she discussed:
http://elmcip.net/critical-writing/can-transmedia-storytelling-learn-hypertext-fiction-introducing-three-examples-4th

You'll find lots more in the ELMCIP Knowledge Base. Social media fiction has many different names. Try searching for things like netprov, twitter fiction, email narratives, transmedia - or follow the tags from each work. Most entries have links to the full text, the website, a PDF or video or other documentation.

Some examples of creative works and scholarship - you'll find links to critical writing about each of the creative works and links to creative works and scholarship cited by the critical writing if you follow the link to the database. You can also try clicking on the tags for each work to find others that are similar. The database is ALWAYS in progress and is created by volunteers like you and me, so you'd also be very welcome to sign up as a contributor if you'd like to add more! Many social media fictions disappear once they're performed, so you may have to just look at documentation.

Mark Marino and Rob Wittig: Occupy MLA
http://elmcip.net/creative-work/occupy-mla
See also this interview with them about creating fiction in social media:
http://elmcip.net/critical-writing/love-social-writerly-game-interview-mark-marino-and-rob-wittig

Critical writing:
- Christy Dena's work on transmedia
http://elmcip.net/person/christy-dena

Probably most of Rob Wittig's work
http://elmcip.net/person/rob-wittig

Scott Rettberg on collective narrative:
http://elmcip.net/critical-writing/all-together-now-hypertext-collective-narrative-and-online-collective-knowledge

Mark Marino and Rob Wittig on Netprov:
http://elmcip.net/critical-writing/netprov-elements-emerging-form

Judy Malloy's collection of short pieces about using Twitter as an authoring platform for electronic literature:
http://www.narrabase.net/twitter.html

Judy Malloy's work Uncle Roger (1986), arguably the first work of hypertext fiction, was itself not published as static hypertext, but performed on the WELL, the social media of the 80s.
http://elmcip.net/creative-work/uncle-roger

My own short pieces on email novels and hoaxes in the Johns Hopkins Guide to Digital Media:
http://elmcip.net/critical-writing/email-novel
http://elmcip.net/critical-writing/hoaxes
and my essay on distributed narrative:
http://elmcip.net/critical-writing/distributed-narrative-telling-stories-across-networks

I'm sure there's a lot of other good stuff out there that I'm forgetting right now. Best of luck on your project!

Jill

---
Jill Walker Rettberg
Professor of Digital Culture
Dept of Linguistic, Literary and Aesthetic Studies
University of Bergen
Postboks 7800
5020 Bergen

Blog - http://jilltxt.net
Twitter - http://twitter.com/jilltxt

My book "Seeing Ourselves Through Technology: How We Use Selfies, Blogs and Wearable Devices to See and Shape Ourselves" is out on Palgrave as an open access publication - buy it in print or download it for free!
http://jilltxt.net/books