[Air-L] Research inquiry

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Sat Sep 20 04:37:04 PDT 2014

When defining the "best" for looking at the development of hashtags, you
have to look at diverse factors. Here are my top 12 criteria:

1. Usability
 - Is it easy to use?

2. Technical requirements
 - Do you need to do any programming?

3. Refinement
 - Can you test and refine social data queries easily?

4. Completeness
 - Are you accessing the full fire hose of data or a black box public API
sample?

5. Temporality
 - Are you interested in day-forward collection or historical?

6. Filtering
 - Can you use metadata AND/OR Boolean search operators pre- &
post-collection?

7. Total cost of operation over time
 - Are there costs for machines, data licenses, operators, storage, or data
manipulation tools?

8. Inter-operability
 - Can data collected with one tool legally and technically be used with
other tools?

9. Legality
 - Is the data scraped, taken from an open API, or licensed from the
publisher?

10. Redaction
 - Does the tool enable you to systematically redact personally
identifiable information?

11. Power Tools
 - Does the tool enable duplicate detection, clustering, topic modeling,
sentiment analysis, or machine-learning.

12. Collaboration
 - Does the tool support collaborative teamwork or crowd sourcing?