[Air-L] Six Week Course on "Selfie Culture" Available Online for Teachers & Students

Terri Senft tsenft at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 07:37:26 PDT 2014

Hello All,

I am excited to announce the newest initiative from the Selfies Research
Network: an six-week course for university students studying selfies,
and/or university instructors who would like to touch on selfie culture in
their own classes.The course (which carries a Creative Commons license)
includes:

   - A full six week syllabus, including classroom exercises that can be
   used or adapted by teachers for their classes-- at
   http://www.selfieresearchers.com/the-selfie-course/selfie-syllabus/

   - A blog for discussions (everyone free to contribute) at
   http://www.selfieresearchers.com/selfies-course-blog/

   - A Flickr group for sharing photos and discussion at
   https://www.flickr.com/groups/selfieworkshop/

This week ( September 2014)  we will begin to run the class online with a
select group of international students, but everyone is invited to
participate on our blog. The schedule of topics is as follows:

   - Week One: Selfies, Identity & Interpellation
   - Week Two: Selfies, Celebrity, Branding & Consumerism
   - Week Three: Selfies, Biometrics, Dataveillance
   - Week Four: Selfies, Sexuality, Dating
   - Week Five: Selfies, Subaltern, Criminality and "Others"
   - Week Six: Selfies, Space, Place and "Appropriateness" Debates

The course was developed by the following group of academics:

Theresa Senft (New York University, USA)
Jill Walker Rettberg (University of Bergen, Norway)
Elizabeth Losh (University of California, San Diego, USA)
Kath Albury (University of New South Wales, Australia)
Radhika Gajjala (Bowling Green State University, USA),
Gaby David (EHESS, France)
Alice Marwick (Fordham University, USA)
Crystal Abidin (University of Western Australia, Australia)
Magda Olszanowski (Concordia University, Canada)
Fatima Aziz (EHESS, France)
Katie Warfield (Kwantien University College, Canada)
Negar Mottahedeh (Duke University, USA)
__

During our scheduled pre-conference at the AoIR Conference Daegu, we'll
talk about the outcome of the class, what worked, what did not, and so
forth. We'll also be brainstorming ways to roll out more projects.

The Selfies Research Network will also be hosting a fishbowl on
international selfies research and a roundtable on research methodologies
and selfie study while in Korea. We look forward to seeing some of you
there!

If you cannot join us in Korea, we are online and waiting to hear from
you.If you'd like to know more about the Selfies Research Network we have
a  website at www.selfieresearchers.com

If you'd like to join our very active Facebook group, it is at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/664091916962292/
-
NB: The Selfies Research Network is an international group of academics
studying the social and cultural implications of the selfie. Our membership
includes teachers, students, visual artists, reporters, and others from
around the globe. Our projects include publications, conference panels,
gallery installations, and teaching resources regarding the politics and
aesthetics of selfie culture.

Last but not least, some of you who speak languages beyond English might
enjoy this, made by one of our network members:

http://newhive.com/wishcrys/48hourslater

 <http://goog_689013053>

Dr. Theresa M. Senft
Global Liberal Studies Program