[Air-L] Relevant fiction on all things data protection / technological progress / big-data marketing

Robert Ackland robert.ackland at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 2 22:20:52 PDT 2014

My favourite example of data mining in marketing is in "Permutation
City" by Greg Egan, Orion/Millennium: London, 1994.

The protagonist receives spam video calls from avatars representing
family members and friends, who try to sell her products.  One day her
spam detector lets a spam call through (the avatar is of her mother, I
think) and it is so accurate that she gets tricked and keeps watching
until it starts making the sales pitch.  She curses herself, because she
realises that the marketing company will use her response to improve its
algorithms, thus making it harder for her own spam detection system to
block future spam calls.

Rob Ackland