[Air-L] Sampling facebook pages

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 02:55:25 PDT 2014

Hi Noha,

Not sure what you’ve already done to establish the most appropriate sampling plan, but off the top of my head systematic is not part of random sampling.  You’re probably doing a purposeful sampling. Are you taking a qualitative or quantitative orientation to the analysis? That makes a difference in how you’ll describe (and conduct) the sample.

As for further reading:  Because these two books are sitting open on my desk, I can recommend these basic introductions to sampling concepts and terms:

Sarah Tracy’s textbook on qualitative research methods:  covers different qualitative sampling strategies (in the chapter on interviewing). http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP002631.html
I’ve shared a screenshot of her summary of types of sampling here, but the larger section is much more detailed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jmm7th5mbl0jfz/tracysamplingchart.png?dl=0

Donald Treadwell’s textbook on introducing Communication Research: presents positivist and interpretivist notions of sampling.  http://www.sagepub.com/textbooks/Book237564
You can see a copy of Treadwell's chapter on sampling here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/0320vm66m0gec2w/Treadwellch8Sampling.pdf?dl=0

and here’s a nice piece that cuts deeper into the ideas and complexity of qualitative sampling:
http://corcom300-s12-lay.wikispaces.umb.edu/file/view/ARTICLE_Sampling_Qualitative.pdf

 Best,

annette