[Air-L] Article/literature combining "geodata", "crowdmapp

Patrick Meier (iRevolution) patrick at irevolution.net
Mon Apr 6 01:04:05 PDT 2015

Hi Daniel,

This may perhaps also be of interest?

http://iRevolution.net/2014/10/06/integrating-geo-data-with-social-media
http://iRevolution.net/2014/09/07/disaster-tweets-give-responders-valuable-data
<http://irevolution.net/2014/09/07/disaster-tweets-give-responders-valuable-data/>

Also, we are currently crowdsourcing a crisis map for Vanuatu post Cyclone
Pam at the request of the World Bank and the Vanuatu Government. The Bank
has deployed UAVs
<http://irevolution.net/2015/03/29/pictures-uav-mission-cyclone-pam/>
(remote control planes/helicopters with cameras) to take very high
resolution aerial imagery of potential disaster affected ares. They are now
using our platform MicroMappers to crowdsource the analysis of these aerial
photographs. Last month, right after Cyclone Pam hit, the UN used
MicroMappers to identify and map earth-based pictures of damage posted to
social media and mainstream media. We're hoping to now combine these two
maps as well as other geo-data to provide a richer contextual analysis for
the disaster damage assessment.

For more on this digital humanitarian mission and initial results, please
see:

http://www.MicroMappers.org <http://www.micromappers.org/>

Lots more on digital humanitarian action (including MicroMappers) in my new
book Digital Humanitarians:

http://www.Digital-Humanitarians.com <http://www.digital-humanitarians.com/>

Thank you,

Patrick