[Air-L] CFP - Urban Media Studies Conference, 24-25 September 2015, Zagreb

Seija Ridell seija.ridell at uta.fi
Wed Apr 8 08:31:35 PDT 2015

*ECREA TWG MEDIA & THE CITY 2015 CONFERENCE**

*Urban Media Studies: Concerns, intersections and challenges
*
**University of Zagreb, Faculty of Political Science, 24–25 September 2015**

**Confirmed keynote speaker: Ole B. Jensen, Professor of Urban Theory,
Dept. of Architecture, Design and Media Technology, Aalborg University. *

*

**Call for papers and panels**

**Media related practices are grounded in the city – where the majority
of human population today lives – and media as both technologies and
representations pervade nearly all aspects of urban living, cutting
through diverse forms of public appearance, community, control,
resistance and habitation.**

**As a result, none of the established perspectives in media studies,
whether that of democracy and participation, production and technology,
representation and use, or belonging and identity, can claim to have an
exhaustive understanding of their problematics without appreciating the
urban context. In the same way, no urban process can be fruitfully
tackled without taking into account the involvement of media and media
related practices.**

**Yet, despite being closely – though unevenly – entwined, from small
towns to megalopolises, the two complexes, media and the city, have
remained disjointed in the scholarly analyses. In fact, it can be argued
that for media scholars in particular, the city has remained a terra
incognita.**

**Wishing to revive the initial enthusiasm in media studies, which
started as an interdisciplinary endeavour, Urban Media Studies
conference aspires to provide a dialogic space for disciplines
interested in mediated urbanism. We also hope to stimulate critical
reflections on the challenges of collaborating across disciplinary
boundaries. Thus, though speaking from the position of media studies, we
invite submissions from scholars who work in all relevant fields that
interface with the key issue of media and the city. These include, but
are not limited to, such fields as urban geography, urban sociology,
architecture, anthropology, science and technology studies, visual and
sound/auditory culture studies, sociology of the senses, and other
related subfields.**

**We specifically welcome submissions which deal with the following
themes and approach them with an interdisciplinary curiosity – as
potential intersections between two or more fields of research:**

**Historical connections between urban studies and media studies**
**Urban spaces and media practices**
**Urban sociality and media**
**Mediation of urban daily life**
**Media, architecture and urban design**
**‘Media cities’ as production clusters and complexes**
**Performing and audiencing (in) the mediated city**
**Media, urban power, resistance and conflict**
**Media, gender and the city**
**Media, ethnicity and the city**
**Urban spaces of media consumption**
**Urban law in the digitally sustained cities**
**Mediated urban sensescapes**
**Urban, outdoor and ambient advertising**
**Fashion as urban communication**
**Urban gaming**
**Journalism and the city**
**The city as a mediated ecosystem**
**Urban mediation and spatial negotiations**
**Methodologies of urban media studies**
**Teaching about media and the city**

**We welcome both individual and multi-authored abstracts, and full
panel proposals (with four presentations; 15–20 minutes per
presentation). In the case of panel proposals, the candidate chair
should provide a title and a short general description of the proposed
panel, together with the abstracts of all presenters.**

**In addition to conventional academic presentations of original
theoretical, methodological and/or empirical research of any of the
above or other related themes, we encourage practice-based
presentations, like urban films and documentaries, sonic projects and
other exploratory artwork that probe issues of media and the city.**

**Abstract proposals (300 words) for presentations and panels, together
with short bios, should be submitted to **mediacity.twg at gmail.com*
<mailto:mediacity.twg at gmail.com>*  by May 1st, 2015. Authors will be
informed of acceptance by June 1st, 2015.**

**The conference will also feature a special dialogic plenary where
participants from different disciplines will be invited to share views
on their work in the context of media and the city.**

**As part of our commitment to stimulate interaction between scholars
from different disciplines, we shall also be organising a guided urban
exploration of Zagreb’s industrial, modernist/utopian architectural
heritage, and post-industrial urban developments.**

**A selection of papers will be published in an edited book and/or in a
journal special issue.**

**Conference fee is 50 Euros for ECREA members, 70 Euros for
non-members. The fee will cover conference materials, and coffee and
lunch both days.**

**Any queries should be sent to conference organizers Seija Ridell
(University of Tampere, Finland), Simone Tosoni (Catholic University of
Milan, Italy) and Zlatan Krajina (University of Zagreb, Croatia). Please
use the conference e-mail address **mediacity.twg at gmail.com*
<mailto:mediacity.twg at gmail.com>*.**

**OBS. For the conference updates, please follow the Media & the City
websites on http://**twg.ecrea.eu/MC/* <http://twg.ecrea.eu/MC/>*and
https://**www.facebook.com/me*
<http://www.facebook.com/mediaandthecity>*diaandthecity*
<http://www.facebook.com/mediaandthecity>**