[Air-L] "Big Data" Tools

Robert Ackland robert.ackland at anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 12 00:50:15 PDT 2015

Hi Matthew (and all) - a while back I announced on this list a 5-day
short course "Big Data Analysis for Social Scientists" being run at the
University of Queensland, Brisbane, 29 June - 3 July.  The course is
being run by myself and Tim Graham (University of Queensland).  We are
developing R code to help non-R experts get started with big data
collection and analysis (essentially: wrappers around a number of
excellent R libraries written by other people), and this code will be
released open source (hopefully as an R library, via CRAN).  We are
developing additional courseware (notes, exercises).  The following page
describes more about the course and our code (not yet released):

http://voson.anu.edu.au/big-data-analysis

regards,
Rob

On 10/04/15 13:08, Matthew Weber wrote:
> AIR’ers:
>
> I’m working on compiling a rough list of tools and training modules that are useful for working with large-scale datasets (“Big Data”) and training. Essentially, I’m trying to build *something* that I can point newbies / graduate students / to when they say “I want to do Big Data”. I’ve got a rough list of coursera / edX / blog modules, but would welcome suggestions. I’m happy to share back the results.
>
> (I did try to check the AIR archive, but was unable to access).
>
> Thanks!
> Matt
>

> Matthew S. Weber
> Assistant Professor
> School of Communication and Information
> Rutgers University
>
> (ph): 848-932-8718

Dr Robert Ackland
Associate Professor and Deputy Director (Education), Australian
Demographic and Social Research Institute <http://adsri.anu.edu.au>
Leader, Virtual Observatory for the Study of Online Networks (VOSON) Lab
<http://voson.anu.edu.au>
Australian National University

My book:
Web Social Science: Concepts, Data and Tools for Social Scientists in
the Digital Age
<http://www.amazon.com/Web-Social-Science-Concepts-Scientists/dp/1849204810>
(SAGE Publications)