[Air-L] Intro-level readings on games/gamification?

Radhika G gradhika2012 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 04:24:03 PDT 2015

great sources - I've found teaching in immersive environments (such as
games) works best if you get them "in there" and then thinking, writing,
discussing...
This allows them to think through the connections - even if they are
already gamers themselves

(there was one particular class a couple years ago, in which I had advanced
gamers playing Eve Online and various games on international servers, in
Asian contexts etc - and so all I needed to do was to have them think about
the play in relation to various sets of readings and we had a wonderful
class overall - they demonstrated stuff to others in the class that might
not have come through traditional textbooks even about gaming)

This semester I am having some of them work with games for change and it
has worked out well in some parts as well.

The key is not just the readings - its HOW you get them to think about all
this in the classroom assignments - in traditional classroom discussion and
good old writing assignments.

I am sure you know this already.

Radhika Gajjala

Professor
School of Media and Communication
and
American Culture Studies Program
Bowling Green State University,
Bowling Green Ohio
http://www.radhikagajjala.org <http://www.cyberdiva.org>

Co-editor of ADA: Journal of Gender and New Media
http://adanewmedia.org