[Air-L] Article/literature on "conceptions of space/place" for teaching

Suzan Koseoglu kose0031 at umn.edu
Tue Apr 14 08:59:43 PDT 2015

Hi Daniel,

You might also be interested in checking Smoothness and Striation in
Digital Learning Spaces
<http://ldm.sagepub.com/content/1/2/302.full.pdf+html>by Sian Bayne.

Hope your class goes well,

Suzan

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 9:25 AM, kalev leetaru <kalev.leetaru5 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Daniel, though it approaches the topic from a more LIS standpoint, you
> might find my guest post on the Library of Congress blog, out this morning,
> of interest for pointers on the geography of text and sensor-based vs
> textual conceptions of space:
>

> http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2015/04/mapping-words-lessons-learned-from-a-decade-of-exploring-the-geography-of-text/
>
> It surveys many of my works over the past decade on this, especially around
> how strongly location is used as a scaffolding across disciplines and
> media.  My paper on the geography of Twitter may also be of interest re
> some of the surprises both in the impact of location on communication in
> broadcast media and how location is expressed in mixed-modality
> environments:
>
> http://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/4366/3654
>
> ~K
>

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Daniel Kunzelmann <
> kunzelmann.daniel at yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Anyone wants to share their *must-read* with me?
> >
> > I'm teaching an undergraduate course this upcoming semester in the field
> > of *digital anthropology*. The seminars title: "*Place. Culture.
> > Cybersp_ace.* Cultural and Social Anthropological conceptions of
> > space/place ["Raum"] in the context of digital transformations." (the
> > German title is a bit difficult to translate, because "Raum" seems to
> have
> > a wider notion).
> >
> > Together with my students I want to discuss *how
> > digitalization/digitization changes todays places/spaces and our
> > conceptions of those (physical, social, political, urban, hybrid, etc.)*.
> > By "digitalization/digitization" I mean the empirical - material and
> > symbolic - phenomena, not the concept (e.g. locative media-in-use,
> digital
> > infrastructures, social media, etc.). Using theoretical texts, I want
> them
> > to acquire *knowledge on the key concepts of "space" and/or "place".* How
> > can we think space and/or place? And how can we apply such concepts in
> > order to better understand todays digital developments in many spheres of
> > (everday) life?
> >
> > My idea would be to teach *two types of concepts*:
> >
> > a.) *"new"* Cultural and Social Anthropological concepts and theories of
> > space/place that *explicitly talk about and refer to digital phenomena.*
> > b.) *"classical"* ones that do *NOT explicitly talk about these issues*,
> > but that you would consider highly applicable to understand such
> phenomena.
> >
> > I'd be very happy if you would share your knowledge and insights with me
> > and my students :-)
> >
> > Wishing you a happy Eastern from stormy Munich,
> > Daniel

> > **Daniel Kunzelmann, Ph.D.c**
> > **Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich**
> [...]

Suzan Koseoglu, Ph.D. Candidate
Learning Technologies
College of Education and Human Development
University of Minnesota