[Air-L] Trust in online communities

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:42:57 PDT 2015

Great list coming out of this request - thanks, all.

You may also be interested in approaches to trust - including important
distinctions between trust and reliance in online environments, as shaped
by the rather voluminous literatures intersecting here between philosophy,
computer science, and CMC / Internet Studies.  We collected and summarized
some of this in:
Ess, C. and Thorseth, M. 2001. Trust and Virtual Worlds: Contemporary
Perspectives.  Peter Lang.
I'd be happy to share a PDF of the introduction, which gives a good
overview of both the individual chapters and the larger contexts - it would
thereby tell you if these approaches are helpful and relevant, etc.

In all events, good luck and again, thanks for generating such an
interesting and useful literature list.

best regards,
charles ess

Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication
University of Oslo

Director, Centre for Research in Media Innovations (CeRMI)
Editor, The Journal of Media Innovations
<https://www.journals.uio.no/index.php/TJMI/>
President, INSEIT <www.inseit.net>

Postboks 1093
Blindern 0317