[Air-L] "Construction" of Users

Guillaume Latzko-Toth guillaume.latzko at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 21:20:32 PDT 2015

Hi Alex,

Close to Woolgar's concept of configuration is French sociologist (and STS
theorist) Madeleine Akrich's concept of "script". She developed it in late
80s/early 90s and it is very well presented in a classic paper:

Akrich, M. (1992). The De-Scription of Technical Objects. In W. E. Bijker
& J. Law (Eds.), Shaping Technology/Building Society. Studies in
Sociotechnical Change (pp. 205-224). Cambridge (Mass.): The MIT Press.

There is also a wonderful paper in French--unfortunately not translated:

Akrich, M. (1993). Les objets techniques et leurs utilisateurs. De la
conception à l'action. Raisons pratiques(4), 35-57.

As an illustration of (more) recent uses of Akrich's theoretical
framework, you might have a look at this paper:

Kerr, A. (2002). Representing users in the design of digital games.
Computer Games and Digital Cultures Conference Proceedings. Tampere
University Press:
http://www.digra.org/digital-library/publications/representing-users-in-the
-design-of-digital-games/

Guillaume

---

Guillaume Latzko-Toth
Assistant Professor
Departement of information and communication
Université Laval | Quebec City | Canada
www.labcmo.ca | @guillaumelatzko