[Air-L] FW: CFP: HICSS Social Networking And Community (Due: June15)

Karine Nahon karineb at uw.edu
Wed Apr 22 11:47:51 PDT 2015

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the duplications.
Karine

Karine Nahon/Author of Going Viral/Best Information Science Book Award and Outstanding Academic Title/eKarine.org
Associate Professor/Information School at University of Washington/Government School at the Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya-IDC

--------------------------------------
CFP: HICSS Social Networking And Community (Twitter: #hicss_snc)
TRACK: Digital and Social Media
Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) 49, January 5-8, 2016, Grand Hyatt, Kauai, Hawaii
PAPERS DUE: June 15, 2015 via the HICSS conference system

ORGANIZERS
Karine Nahon, University of Washington and the Interdisciplinary Center at Herzliya, karineb at uw.edu<mailto:karineb at uw.edu> (Primary Contact)
Caroline Haythornthwaite, University of British Columbia, c.haythorn at ubc.ca<mailto:c.haythorn at ubc.ca>

This HICSS minitrack has been ongoing since 2003 under various titles. Papers address the interrelationship between social networking and communities in all aspects of our (online and offline) lives.  We call for papers that address research, theory, practice, and/or policy around our new interlinkages via social media in support of communities of practice, inquiry, and interest for business, political, social, learning, and gaming initiatives and outcomes. In previous years, the minitrack has been among the largest at the conference, and ‘best papers’ from the minitrack have often received the ‘Best Paper in Track’ awards.

We call for papers that address social networks and communities supported and/or complemented by social media for work, learning, socializing, economic and/or political processes, and/or that address theory, design, practices, use or evaluation of such social media use.  We encourage papers that address communities in a broad sense of its use, including communities of practice, epistemic communities, or communities of inquiry; as well as fully virtual communities, and social media use that supports or complements geographically based community. We particularly encourage papers that: advance our understanding of social network growth, formation, structure and outcomes through social media; advance out understanding of the design of social media technologies and practices for effective community development and maintenance; studies of socio-technical aspects of social media use that explore how the technology relates to social outcomes; theoretical studies that explore models and principles of social media design, use and outcomes. This year we will give space to more exploratory and theoretical papers than in the past.

Examples of possible interdisciplinary topics of interest in these contexts include, but are not limited to the following:

Social, political and/or economic impact of social media
Crowds and Communities as sociological phenomenon in the digital economy
Community development and community informatics
Design, development, and user studies of social media
Design of online crowds and/or communities of practice, inquiry or interest
Online learning communities: structures, implementations, and practices
Serious leisure online
Organizational behavior of communities
Behavior in online gaming communities
Social network studies and analyses of online crowds and communities
Mobile applications, services and use for and by online communities
Case studies and topologies of online communities
Case studies and analyses of the rise and fall of social network sites and online communities
Theoretical models of online crowds and communities, social media use, etc.
Models and cases of synergies and/or conflicts between offline and online worlds
Critical perspectives on social media and local and/or virtual community
Research methods for the study of social networking and community

MORE INFOMRATION ABOUT HICSS http://www.hicss.org
The Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) is one of the high-quality and longest-standing continuously running scientific conferences. It brings together researchers from diverse fields (Information, computer, social and system science) and is devoted to the advance in the information, computer and system sciences.

IMPORTANT DEADLINES FOR AUTHORS

June 15, 2015   --   SUBMIT FULL MANUSCRIPTS FOR REVIEW as instructed. The review is double-blind; therefore, this initial submission must be without author names.

Aug 15, 2015   -- Review System emails Acceptance Notices to authors. It is very important that at least one author of each accepted paper attend the conference. Therefore, all travel guarantees – including visa or your organization’s fiscal funding procedures – should begin immediately.  Make sure your server accepts the review system address https://precisionconference.com/~hicss.

Sept 15, 2015  -- SUBMIT FINAL PAPER.  Add author names to your paper, and submit your Final Paper for Publication to the site provided in your Acceptance Notice.  (This URL is not public knowledge.)

Oct 1, 2015   -- EARLY REGISTRATION FEE DEADLINE. At least one author of each paper should register by this date in order secure publication in the Proceedings.  Fees will increase on Oct 2 and Dec 2.

Oct 15, 2015   -- Papers without at least one paid-in-full registered author may be deleted from the Proceedings and not scheduled for presentation; authors will be so notified by the Conference Office.