[Air-L] Online community norms - research request

Deen Freelon dfreelon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 14:58:51 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a possible opportunity for those of you who study online
communities and their norms. A journalist from the Washington Post,
Alyssa Rosenberg, would like to include some good research on the
subject for a piece she's writing on online shaming. She writes:

> I'm looking into how online communities define themselves; who's a
> member, who's not, what obligations apply to members, etc. I'm
> interested in this question in part because of the debate around
> shaming, and the assertion that it's a politically useful way of
> enforcing ideas and norms. I don't necessarily disagree, but I think
> one thing a lot of discussions about this are missing is the
> difference between shaming that occurs between people who recognize
> themselves as part of the same community, and people who don't. Thus,
> the question about how online communities define themselves.

If you've done research in this area, please send it directly to Alyssa
at alyssa.rosenberg at gmail.com. If you're lucky, you might see your work
mentioned in the Post. Best, ~DEEN

--
Deen Freelon