[Air-L] [CITASA] 3 positions at Nanying Tech U Singapore---avoid

Patrick Williams subcultures at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 07:37:05 PDT 2015

I saw Philip Howard's response to the NTU jobs on the CITASA and AoIR
listservs. Just to follow up on it.

I'm not sure where the information that the president of the country
overturned Cherian George's tenure decision came from, but my understanding
(and FYI I'm an associate professor at NTU) is that NTU's board denied his
tenure; there was no overturning. Certainly there were many faculty,
including me, who were shocked by the incident, but there were probably
just as many who were not surprised. I learned very quickly after moving to
NTU that engaging in actions (whether through activism, publishing
research, etc.) that directly criticize government policies could have dire
consequences. But I would disagree that "it is a bit early, and a bit
risky, to invest your academic career in Singapore." The research
environment is lively and active, the faculty is internationally diverse,
and faculty are supported in their work....as long as they don't bite the
hand that feeds them. [Yes, that may feel like a slap in the face to a
liberal academic, but it's also increasingly a reality in higher education
everywhere.]

The Cherian George case was political, but then again people are denied
tenure or fired every year at universities for political reasons. You
didn't do what your dean asked asked you to do once and got on her/his bad
side....you didn't collaborate with the 'right' people in a lab or
department or wherever....you told your students God doesn't exist....such
stories circulate in the US, UK, Europe, and elsewhere as well. Even
tenured professors in the US feel unsafe at some institutions, from
teaching on sensitive issues to not securing 'enough' grant
money...Singapore is nothing special in this regard.

There are many people who don't get tenure at NTU, but many who do. I would
agree that scholars doing advocacy or activist work that would target
Singaporean public policy might very well do better elsewhere. But there
are many scholars in the humanities, social sciences, and communication who
do great work otherwise. Therefore I would add a caveat to Philip's
statement: "If you study communication, technology, journalism, media, or
have domains of inquiry that are culturally, politically, or economically
sensitive, this is probably not a good place for you."  A more accurate
statement would be: If you study any of those things and plan to critique
Singapore governmental policy, this is probably not a place for you." Folks
interested in a job in Singapore can begin by looking at faculty profiles
and seeing what kinds of things profs here are publishing, for one thing.
Or just apply and, if you get a campus interview, ask good questions about
your concerns during your visit. If you don't get a good feeling, you don't
have to take the job.

Cheers,

patrick.