[Air-L] Internet Law: Cases and Problems

Grimmelmann, James jgrimmelmann at law.umaryland.edu
Mon Aug 3 10:12:27 PDT 2015

Dear all,

The new (5th) annual edition of my book, Internet Law: Cases and Problems, is now available. It covers the core topics of the subject -- jurisdiction, free speech, privacy, online contracts, computer crimes, trademarks, domain names, virtual property, copyright, patents, antitrust, and network neutrality -- and features extensive questions and problems to prompt discussion. The new edition has been updated to include recent developments such as the FCC's network neutrality order, cyberbullying laws, and the USA FREEDOM Act. While the book was written primarily for law students (so it uses the law-school casebook format of excerpts from judicial opinions and other primary legal materials), it has been successfully adopted for a number of undergraduate courses. The extensive teacher's manual contains suggestions for using it with non-law students and I would be happy to discuss the details off-list with anyone who might be interested in assigning it.

The book itself is available as a DRM-free PDF download from Semaphore Press at http://semaphorepress.com/InternetLaw_overview.html. The book is pay-what-you-want with a suggested price of $30. Students who have downloaded a copy are welcome to put it on tablets or other devices, print out as much or as little as they need, or redownload it as needed. Instructors considering the book are also welcome to download it for free (use the "freeride" button at the bottom right of the payment page) and should email me off-list for a copy of the teacher's manual. If you would like to use portions of the book (e.g. for a few sessions of a course on social impacts of the Internet), we suggest $1 per student per class session, and we are happy to discuss other arrangements if any of this would be infeasible for you or your students. The book also comes in a print-on-demand version available through Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Internet-Law-Problems-James-Grimmelmann/dp/1943689008/.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with any questions or suggestions.

best wishes,
James

James Grimmelmann        jgrimmelmann at law.umaryland.edu
Professor of Law           http://james.grimmelmann.net
University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law