[Air-L] Generous PhD stipends on offer in Hong Kong
Herold, David [APSS]
david.herold at polyu.edu.hk
Fri Aug 28 07:04:32 PDT 2015
Hong Kong Universities are looking for PhD students with evidence of academic excellence, research ability and potential, and good communication, interpersonal and leadership abilities for full-time PhD study in Hong Kong within the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme.
The scheme pays for:
- Full 3 year tuition scholarship
- Monthly stipend of HK$20,000 (approx. US$2,600)
- Annual book and equipment allowance of HK$20,000 (approx. US$2,600) - not at all universities !!!
- Annual Conference Funding of HK$10,000 (approx. US$1,300) - not at all universities !!!
THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS VERY COMPETITIVE!
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: December 1, 2015 for a September 2016 start.
HOW TO APPLY:
General information: https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/index.html
- Identify and approach potential supervisors as soon as possible (see below);
- Develop a research proposal with an interested supervisor;
- Submit application forms (incl. references) and research proposals by the deadline.
University websites to start looking for departments and supervisors:
Hong Kong University - http://www.hku.edu.hk/
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology - http://www.ust.edu.hk/
Chinese University of Hong Kong - http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/
City University of Hong Kong - http://www.cityu.edu.hk/
Hong Kong Polytechnic University - http://www.polyu.edu.hk/
Hong Kong Baptist University - http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/
Lingnan University - http://www.ln.edu.hk/
Hong Kong Institute of Education - http://www.ied.edu.hk/
My own info for interested students:
Dr. David Kurt Herold, Assistant Professor, Department of Applied Social Sciences (APSS), HK Polytechnic University
Email: David.Herold at polyu.edu.hk<mailto:David.Herold at polyu.edu.hk>
- Internet in China; Internet users and their practices (=culture?); online/offline crossovers
- Cross-cultural comparisons; cross-cultural (mis-)communication
- Qualitative Research Methods, online research methods
- Social Theory, Theories of knowledge, Theories of society
FROM EXPERIENCE, THE FOLLOWING ARE EXPECTED OF APPLICANTS:
- Undergraduate degree and postgraduate degree from different universities, preferably in different countries;
- Good universities, very good GPAs (at both undergrad and postgrad levels;
- Very good research proposal (incl. literature review, interesting and doable project, etc.);
- There is a preference for non-Chinese (there are different programs for Chinese students) to increase their ratio among Hong Kong students.
Additional information: http://www.polyu.edu.hk/ro/hkphd-fellowship/
Dr. David Kurt Herold
Applied Social Sciences
HK Polytechnic University
Hung Hom, Kowloon
Phone: (+852)-3400 3015
Email: David.Herold at polyu.edu.hk
This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University) immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such information.
More information about the Air-L