[Air-L] hackademia list

gus andrews gus.andrews at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 13:32:44 PDT 2015

Bemused to see Dr. Abdulla contribute another instance of something I noted
at the academic meetup Biella called at CCC. If I was wearing my
anthropology hat and doing grounded coding of utterances, I would
definitely create a meta-category of "self-deprecation immediately
following the use of the term 'hacker.'" I'm interested in how the
invocation of "the hacker" leads people to dismiss their own technological
skills as lacking! I've been attending hacker conferences since 2002 and I
don't code or break into things, but I am still a contributing member of
the community. You might be surprised at how welcoming parts of the hacker
community can be to non-technical people.

Dr. Abdulla, my YouTube media and digital literacy show did two brief
episodes on the traditional meanings of "hacking" within the computer
community, with two high-profile hacker community organizers, Emmanuel
Goldstein and Mitch Altman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vjMnUX6v4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoDOrKZK3Kg
(Note that these skew toward the more positive view of hacking, as many
hackers see themselves.)

Hope those are of interest!

Gillian "Gus" Andrews

Senior Fellow, Secure Usability Fellowship Program
Simply Securehttps://simplysecure.org/
and
Producer, The Media Show
youtube.com/themediashow