[Air-L] literature on (social) history of the Internet

Janna Anderson andersj at elon.edu
Mon Aug 3 06:36:23 PDT 2015

“Imagining the Internet: Personalities, Predictions, Perspectives”

  *   ISBN-13: 978-0742539372

  *   ISBN-10: 0742539377
  *   $33
  *

In the early 1990s, people predicted the death of privacy, an end to the current concept of 'property,' a paperless society, 500 channels of high-definition interactive television, world peace, and the extinction of the human race after a takeover engineered by intelligent machines. Imagining the Internet zeroes in on predictions about the Internet's future and revisits past predictions―and how they turned out―to put that imagined future in perspective.

Looking for the history of the Internet and people’s expectations for it, told through the lens of what was happening in its early days? Interlaced with revealing analysis, this compendium of thoughts from stakeholders and skeptics, from George Orwell, Marshall McLuhan, and Isaac Asimov to Bill Gates, Bruce Sterling, Nicholas Negroponte, Al Gore, and many others, combines history and biography with future visions and a look at the social, political, and economic consequences of new communication technology. It also gives the history of communications in a nutshell, illustrating the serious impact of pervasive networks and how they will change our lives over the next century.

This book was selected by the American Library Association as a "Choice" book for 2006 - named an outstanding academic title - in the top 10 percent of works published.
Click here to read excerpts from each chapter<http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/bookexcerpts.xhtml>

Also visit www.imaginingtheinternet.org to view a comprehensive database that forms the investigative basis for this book. And see the thousands of additional predictions that have been made between 1990 and 2014 about the social, political and economic impacts of the Internet over the past 35 years.

Best regards,
Janna

--
Janna Quitney Anderson
Director of Elon University's Imagining the Internet Center