[Air-L] CFP - New Media New Intimacies

Katherine Anne Blackburn Harrison tjx856 at hum.ku.dk
Fri Dec 4 00:36:49 PST 2015

Dear all,

Please find below a call for chapter abstracts for a new book provisionally titled "New Media – New Intimacies: Connectivities, relationalities, proximities". Deadline for 200 word abstracts is December 20th.

I'd be happy to talk more about it with anyone who might be interested in contributing...and I'd be very grateful if you would share this with your wider networks.

Many thanks and best wishes
Katherine

Katherine Harrison, PhD
Department of Media, Cognition and Communication
University of Copenhagen
Karen Blixens Vej 4
DK-2300 Copenhagen S
Denmark
email: tjx856 at hum.ku.dk

Invitation to contribute to scholarly volume on New Media and Intimacies

Call for abstracts

We hereby invite contributions to a new volume of critical articles, provisionally titled:

New Media – New Intimacies: Connectivities, relationalities, proximities

Editors: Rikke Andreassen, Katherine Harrison, Michael Nebeling Petersen and Tobias Raun
Deadline for abstract submission: 20 December 2015

New media are increasingly intersecting and intertwined with our daily lives, bodily and intimate practices, and relationships. This volume will investigate how different new media enable and/or produce new intimacies, as well as how practices and understandings of intimacy are both embedded in digitally mediated communication and generate innovative uses or forms of new media. We welcome contributions which address the mediatization and the affordances of new media as equally important as the production and practices of intimacies. We call for theoretical articles as well as empirically-based case studies that investigate the co-constitution and connection of new media and new intimacies.

We invite contributions that explore various media sites and forms, including (but not limited to) social medias (characterized by user generated content, participation, interactivity, community), digital medias, online medias and mobile devices. And we invite contributions investigating various intimacies, that could be intimate and/or affective encounters, relationalities, practices, belongings, desires, proximities, kinships, friendships, or communities, as well as online and /or digital affective intensities, viralities, and connectivities. Contributions analysing the bodily and intimate doing of technology, and contributions questioning the boundaries between body, media, technology and affectivity are particularly welcomed. We encourage contributions that pay attention to the cultural, social, and historical context of the interrelation between intimacies, media affordances and media technologies. We are also interested in contributions that specifically address and unfold intimacy as a prism for understanding a shifting mediascape.

Proposed publisher for this volume is Routledge, as part of the Routledge Studies in European Communication Research and Education Series under ECREA (European Communication Research and Education Association). Alternatively, it will be published by similar international and well-reputed publisher.

Please send your abstract to: newmedianewintimacies at gmail.com. Abstracts should be 200 words long and written in English. Please include your name, title, and affiliation. Please also indicate whether you are a member of ECREA. It is not necessary to be a member of ECREA to contribute but we would need to know which of the contributors are members. Deadline for submission of abstracts: Dec. 20, 2015.

If accepted, final versions of chapters should be approximately 8000 words long, written in English, and, where appropriate, feature supplementary illustrations. Further instructions will be supplied to accepted authors.