[Air-L] CFP: Workshop on Web Education: Teaching Digital Literacies

Marie Joan Kristine Gloria glorim at rpi.edu
Fri Dec 4 13:58:03 PST 2015

Dear AoIR members  -

For those interested, we will be hosting a Web Education: Teaching Digital
Literacies <http://www.web-education-workshop.net/relevance-motivation/>Workshop
at the WWW 2016 Conference <http://www2016.ca/> in Montreal, Canada (April
2016).

This type of discussion will be the first for this venue as it is
traditionally a more technical (e.g. CS-driven) conference. However, we
would like to extend the call to a broader community of academics,
practitioners, activists, industry, etc., outside of CS.

Details below.

If you have any questions, please do note hesitate to contact me directly.

Many thanks,
Kristine
--
Kristine Gloria
Visiting Researcher at the Internet Policy Research Initiative at MIT-CSAIL

****CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS ***
Download it
<http://www.web-education-workshop.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WEW2016-callforpapers.pdf>
and submit your paper or poster proposal before *Jan. 15th 2016.*

*Relevance*This workshop is the first Web Education / Digital Literacies
workshop to be held at a WWW Conference. The dynamics of Web Education and
Digital Literacies are among today’s most important issues surrounding the
development of the Web as an efficient, safe and universal information
system.

Too often Web education is understood as teaching web technologies or
development techniques. However, teaching the Web itself in all its various
aspects has become essential to our understanding of the role of the Web in
every dimension of human activity and developing better understandings of
its mechanisms for the user.

A wide range of disciplines including sociology, economics, political
studies, health and management science have integrated courses and
specializations to teach the Web, its nature, its realities, its impact its
evolution and its integration into every dimension of human activity.

We are keen to encourage a very broad community of participants. Whether
you are a professor involved in digital literacy programs or courses, a
consultant empowering employees in a company, a student or faculty in an
interdisciplinary program or an activist in an NGO teaching the Web to
kids, you’re invited to submit your proposals to be presented at the Web
Education Workshop.

*Objectives*

   - Reflect on the current state of Web Education and digital literacy
   teaching initiatives in the world
   - Identify the variety of practices in Web Education across different
   countries, contexts and educational systems
   - Find coherence between different approaches to Web Science education
   - Identify key objectives for this community of practice and establish a
   roadmap for future activities