[Air-L] CfP: CSCW 2016, San Francisco CA, Workshop on Social Signaling Theory, Join Us!

Amirah Majid amirah at uw.edu
Thu Dec 17 09:50:25 PST 2015

Call for Workshop Participation! Deadline Extended!!

Unpacking Social Signaling Theory for Social Computing Systems Analysis and
Design
@ CSCW 2016

Social signaling theory (SST) is an analytical approach for interpreting
interactions in social settings that are not ostensibly explicit.
Historically, SST has been used to analyze behaviors in domains such as
biology, economics, anthropology and sociology. Using SST as an approach
for analyzing human behavior in the broad domain of social computing
systems has been growing in many directions. Researchers have been using
SST to understand how people assess the reliability of profile data in
situations such as selecting experts, seeking romantic encounters, joining
niche communities, or generally making sense of online social settings.

Some possible questions we might think about for this workshop include:

        • Relationships: How does social signaling theory complement
existing theories used for studying social computing systems?
        • Applications: What types of questions about social computing
systems cannot currently be answered from an SST stance?
        • Interventions: How can SST be leveraged to facilitate the design
of next generation social computing systems?

The workshop will be active and interactive. Through a variety of creative
activities and lively discussions, we will begin to unpack SST, map how it
is currently being used in research, and investigate the potential for
future exploration. We are planning a number of interesting activities and
opportunities for discussion.

Participants will be selected based on interest in the topic, demonstrated
through extended abstracts submitted prior to the workshop. We have framed
some possible motivating questions above. You might choose to frame your
submission around one of those topics. However, alternative submission
topics that would inform the workshop discussion include describing an
application of SST in a setting, system designs which attempt to apply SST,
or evaluations of SST as applied. We are also thrilled to accept papers
which approach SST as a theoretical stance, an empirical study, or use it
in a clearly framed research design. Papers will be selected based on a
combination of quality and to gather a variety of perspectives.

Submissions will be due December 19, 2015

For more information visit the workshop website:
http://courses.washington.edu/sstwks16/
Details on the submission requirements can be found from the workshop
website.

--
A. M. Majid
أميرة ماجد‬‎