[Air-L] Please recommend an excellent textbook on " ICT Policy "

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 09:15:36 PST 2015

I would second Michael on this.
Indeed, I attempted to send this previously - but fouled up (too many email
accounts ...)

I teach a MA-level course, provocatively titled "Pornography, Protection,
and Power", which focuses on the challenges of Internet regulation in
particular.
Lots of articles are necessary for the obvious reasons - too many changes,
too quickly, etc.  But I've found two books to be quite useful:

R. Mansell and M. Raboy (Eds). 2011. The Handbook of Global Media and
Communication Policy.  (Available online)

Braman, Sandra. 2012.  Change of State: Information, Policy, and Power. MIT
Press.

Mansell and Raboy collect an extensive number of articles that represent a
very wide range of issues, approaches, and perspectives, including
attention to diverse cultural dimensions, gender matters, North vs. South,
etc.
Their introductory chapter is good for an a first overview of main
histories, developments, and topics - but Sandra's text goes into all of
this in much greater detail.  She also provides extensive bibliographic
essays for each of her chapters that will benefit both beginning and
seasoned researchers in these domains.
The two also balance one another very nicely as Sandra provides strong
coverage of U.S.-based developments, interests, approaches, etc., which are
largely only referred to in the Mansell and Raboy collection.
>From my perspective, Sandra's concluding chapter is especially helpful as a
masterful summary of what might be called the state of play between the
diverse interests, agents and stakeholders, principle conflicts, etc.
vis-a-vis policy trends, the relationships between social theory and
information policy, and so on - all with a clear and consistent focus on
the implications of all of these for democratic processes and values.

Will be happy to learn in turn what others might find useful as well!

Good luck and best wishes,
- charles ess

Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication
University of Oslo

Director, Centre for Research in Media Innovations (CeRMI)
Editor, The Journal of Media Innovations
<https://www.journals.uio.no/index.php/TJMI/>
<https://www.journals.uio.no/index.php/TJMI/>
President, INSEIT <www.inseit.net>

Postboks 1093